Sunday 11 March 2012

today i love... printed trousers




Those are five words I never thought would come out of my mouth... Up until a few weeks ago I wouldn't have dreamed of buying a pair of printed trousers. But I'm officially a convert. It all started when the Mary Katrantzou for Topshop collection landed a few weeks ago. I couldn't believe how much I liked it, given my usual no-tolerance approach to prints, especially florals. Something about the way the prints were so mashed up, so vibrant, so far removed from the cutesy girly associations I am so keen to steer clear of really appealed to me (so much so that I bought her Topshop Newgen tee). But my obsession with printed trousers in particular really kicked off (as so many of my obsessions do) with Elin Kling. When I saw her in this outfit (all Isabel Marant), I couldn't get over how amazing her floral trousers looked. Paired with a simple burnout grey tee, black blazer, mannish belt and aviator shades, there wasn't a girly connotation in sight. I was sold.

So above I've picked out my current high street favourites, of which one has just arrived in my wardrobe (more on that soon). But be warned: there are many traps to be aware of when hunting down a printed pair of your own. Firstly, if you're going floral, make sure you steer clear of ditsy prints and go for something quite graphic or tropical to keep it very 2012. Other than floral, Aztec prints are a good bet, paisley is for the brave, and if in doubt, you can't go wrong with animal. As for shape, keep it skinny and a little bit cropped; printed palazzo pants are nobody's friend. And the golden rule of this trend is that it is so easy to get wrong, so to be on the safe side I'd steer clear of the lower echelons of the high street (New Look/Primark/Dorothy Perkins) and stick to the likes of Zara and Topshop. Finally, if you're feeling super brave, go for the clash; Sabrina Meijer looked awesome teaming florals with snakeskin in this outfit at Paris Fashion Week... I might just be trying that one out for myself.


Follow me on bloglovin', facebook and twitter

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig