Monday 15 November 2010

today i'm channelling... burberry prorsum a/w'10

Regular readers of this blog (I'm sure there's at least one of you) will know that I am completely in love with Christopher Bailey and everything that he does. The man can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned. His last three Burberry Prorsum collections in particular have been exceptionally good, and I've wanted every single piece he's clad his models in (check out my review of his latest show, S/S'11, here). My obsession truly reached fever pitch back in February, though, when he presented his stellar A/W'10 collection in London. It was simply the best collection I'd ever seen, and sparked an insatiable desire to get my hands on an aviator jacket, which culminated in me spending a ridiculous amount on one in August (read all about it here).

So in truth, I've been trying to channel Burberry Prorsum A/W'10 for a good few months now, but given that it's only recently been cold enough to actually do so, I thought now would be a good time to share with you a bevy of Christopher Bailey-inspired delights from the great British high street. After all, as much as sacrificing one's student loan repayments in favour of cladding oneself in the genuine article might seem a good idea at the time, in reality it's probably better to spend a little less on clothes in order to leave enough money to feed oneself (I know, who knew I was so practical?!)

Besides, what is the high street there for if not to provide reasonable copies of designer pieces at a fraction of the price? And they've certainly been going all out to imitate Burberry this season. You can't have failed to notice that every single shop has been chock-a-block with aviator-alikes for months now, with everywhere from Primark to Whistles producing versions (with varying degrees of success). But if you're anything like me then you probably snapped up your sheepskin jacket long ago. The issue, now that we can actually wear our cosy outerwear, is what exactly to wear it with. And, as with so many of life's questions, Christopher Bailey has the answer.

First up is a lesson in how to style a classic black or khaki aviator with white shearling collar (above): team it with tiered lace pieces in sludgy colours like mustard, puce or olive green, and thigh-high leather boots. So, to the high street. If you are still on the hunt for such a jacket, I suggest Zara's Sheepskin Perfecto Jacket, £69.99: not real sheepskin but one of the best budget versions I've seen. Under this, slip on Topshop's Lace Front Zip Back Shell Top; the lovely sludgy yellow will look perfect against the khaki jacket and it's a snip at £20. Pair this with some skinny black jeans and Topshop's Brittany Over Knee Boots, £80, and you're all set.

But if you prefer a black version of the aviator, then take inspiration from this look (above) and add luscious layers in rich, berry colours for a beautiful wintry look. I adore Topshop's Curly Sheepskin Panel Leather Jacket, £225: not cheap, but surely worth it for the butter-soft leather and luxe sheepskin detailing. Team this with Topshop's astonishingly Burberry-esque Chiffon Frill Front Zip Skirt, £35, and New Look's Velvet Bow Back Vest in 'Thistle', £10.39. Finally step into River Island's amazing Shutter Mid Fur Boots, £74.99 (want, want, want).

And lastly, we move away from the ubiquitous aviator and onto the other Burberry-inspired outerwear of the season: the smart military coat (above). I'm a sucker for anything utilitarian; I just can't say no to a row of gleaming gold buttons on a smartly tailored jacket in navy or khaki. And while khaki would probably be my military coat colour of choice, because it's very British officers circa WW1, navy is possibly my all-time favourite colour for any clothing: it's just so flattering and goes with everything. So I love the above idea of layering different textures of navy and black to create a seriously chic silhouette. The best military coat I've seen on the (virtual) high street has got to be Asos' Military Button Coat, £75, which comes in both navy and khaki (and also black and red, but I'm less keen on those). I love the idea of the navy version slipped on over Asos White's Silk Hitch Hem Shirt in navy, £50, in turn tucked into Topshop's Lace A-line Skirt, £35, to create a lovely textural mix of blues.

So there you have it. Three beautiful Bailey-worthy looks courtesy of the high street: all sumptuously stylish, seriously snuggly and won't force you to max out your overdraft. What more could you want this winter?


Pictures of Burberry Prorsum A/W'10: Elleuk.com


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig