Friday 13 August 2010

today i love... my aviator jacket

The moment I watched the gorgeous, oversized, furry-collared, deliciously soft leather aviator jackets come stalking down the Burberry catwalk back in February (on the internet, sadly no front row tickets just yet), I knew that I would be saving up my pennies for a high-street copy come autumn. And, as I reported in my last blog, it is now officially autumn in fashion circles. My desire for a shearling aviator jacket, then, which has been slowly building over the last few months, has in the last couple of weeks reached fever pitch, so that I am now convinced that owning one such specimen is as necessary to my survival as clean water.

With each 'hero' piece, as I have pretentiously decided to refer to items of clothing that have in the past instilled in me such desire as to seriously risk disrupting my sleep patterns, I imagine that I want it even more than I wanted the previous piece. And with each one, I consider spending just a little more money. A year ago I fell completely, inexorably in love with a cream cropped leather jacket, soft as butter, and with gold-studded lapels. I dreamed about it for nights on end before deciding that it would be the perfect present for my parents to give me as a congratulations on graduating from university. At £160, it was the most money I'd ever spent on an item of clothing, and I worried that it wouldn't live up to its price tag. But I'm happy to say I have continued to love and adore it, and still wear it pretty frequently (I say pretty frequently because I never wear one item of clothing more frequently than once every two to three weeks. Amen to that).

The next really lustful item that came along was the Mulberry 'Alexa' bag. You know the one I mean. Almost a year after it was first a blip on the fashion radar and you still can't move for them. Each season Emma Hill (Mulberry's accessories designer) churns out different reincarnations to keep the bandwagon a-rollin' and the fashion editors snap them up like greedy crocs. It was probably around January/February that my all-consuming desire for an Alexa reached the point that, for a moment, I seriously considered shelling out the £695 for that beautiful tan leather arm candy. Then I remembered that I was on minimum wage and soon to quit my job and thought, hmmm, maybe not. Luckily in April Topshop answered my fashion prayers with a gorgeous Alexa-alike, resplendent in all its tan, squishy leather glory. I promptly spent more than I usually would on a bag (£85), hoping that satchels wouldn't go out of fashion too quickly. As luck would have it, Topshop is still selling variations of said bag four months later and I have used my faux Alexa at least once a week since then.

So I am hoping that my latest hero purchase will prove to be an equally sensible fashion gamble. Especially as it is, by far, the most I have ever spent on any item of clothing. It is more than double what that cream leather guy set me back (and I didn't even pay for that myself). Yes, that's right, this morning I spent £325 on the most beautiful jacket I have ever set eyes on:

Say hello to Topshop's Sheepskin Flying Jacket, or as I think of it, the love of my fashion life. I mean, just look at it! You can understand why, despite being unemployed, I happily gave Topshop 325 of my precious pounds in exchange for this absolute beauty. It hasn't actually arrived yet so I can't feel it in my hands (God I hope it fits...) but you can tell just from the picture how amazingly luxurious it is. Look at that ridiculously extravagant shearling collar! The soft, supple leather! The chunky buckles and zips! I may die of happiness when I realise it is soon to arrive on my doorstep. It is, quite simply, the perfect item of clothing. Thank goodness August is cooperating by throwing us some grey, rainy weather. It surely understands that the need for jacket-appropriate temperatures far outweighs the desire some (non-fashion folk) have for sun.

So there we have it. Go forth and purchase. This particular Topshop beauty only arrived back in stock this morning, after promptly selling out first time around, so I doubt it'll linger long this time either. So get your credit card out now! But if you do miss out, I happen to know that Asos will be bringing out a version almost as stellar as this one in October (again not exactly peanuts at £350). However, I for one plan to have already worn mine approximately 300 times by then. Now, I'm off to sit hungrily beside my doorstep awaiting its arrival.... must fly!

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig