Monday 27 August 2018

desk styling


IMG_8983

Sorry for the radio silence - I moved house a couple of months ago and that along with getting a kitten shortly afterwards, plus work being hectic, has meant little time for anything blog-wise lately (check my Instagram for plenty of kitten spam though!) Anyway, I wanted to break the drought to share my tips on styling a desk. I didn't have room for a desk in my flat, which meant that whenever I had to work from home it was just a laptop on the sofa, which is never terribly inspiring. I'm a huge believer in your work environment having a massive impact on your productivity, so I was determined to turn my new desk into the perfect spot to inspire lots of hard work (and hopefully more writing!)

These photos are not the finished product because I've actually decided this desk is too small, so I plan to replace it with a bigger one and use this as a dressing table instead (it's supposed to be either anyway - see it here). I invested in an iMac, which I love, but which means more space is needed... But I'm happy with the styling and will probably just replicate it on the new desk. The only other thing I plan to add is this Made.com memo board, which is waiting until I get the new desk to confirm its position on the wall.

IMG_8981

essentials

First up: what do you need to have on your desk? Keyboard and mouse if you have a desktop (which if you're an Apple user are mercifully beautiful, and small), or a laptop stand, or maybe a tablet holder? Think about the technology you will actually be using here and invest in some sleek accessories. If you're using a laptop, I would recommend buying a stand like this one. Speakers are also a must (tinny laptop sound is never inspiring). I love my UE Boom 2, which I carry around the house with me and connect up to either my phone, iPad or iMac, depending on what I'm using. I also consider a good notebook or organiser a must-have. Right now I mainly use my Sadler Jones daily planner, as I love a good to-do list. I also keep my favourite Muji pens in a marble pot so they're close at hand.


chair

It took me a while to decide which chair I wanted, and I eventually settled on Made's Davos chair (no longer available, but IKEA has a similar option). It has the bonus of being a similar style to my beloved Vitra Eames DSR chair, but with the added (and crucial) benefit of an adjustable swivel. It's important to have a desk chair with adjustable height options to avoid bad posture (FYI the top of your screen should be at eye level and your forearms parallel to your desk). I topped mine with a long-haired sheepskin for added cosiness. To accompany my chair, I always need a footstool of some sort as I have bad knees and can't have them bent for too long. I've ordered H&M's wool pouffe so fingers crossed that looks good in the space.


accessories

Now for the non-essentials. What will give you that sense of productivity and calm you need? For me it's candles, plants and some beautiful accessories. A cactus and succulent in concrete pots, plus Tom Dixon and Diptyque candles, and a couple of chic perfumes (Byredo Mojave Ghost and Diptyque Philosykos). I also add some marble coasters, because I can't do any work without a cup of tea, and Grown Alchemist hand cream, because I'm addicted. A Gentlewoman magazine and a suitably girl-boss book (Little Black Book by Otegha Uwagba) help to spur me on when I'm lacking inspiration. Finally, don't forget to accessorise your computer itself with the Fliqo screensaver and An Organised Life's calendar desktop backgrounds.

IMG_8982

IMG_8984

---- shop the post ----



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig