Thursday 21 September 2017

beauty review: lip balms

I'm always saying that I'm not a beauty expert, but actually I do consider myself a bit of a pro when it comes to lip balms. Ever since I took a course of Roaccutane for my skin around seven years ago (I won't go into it here but suffice it to say that I absolutely recommend it for any acne sufferers), one of the long-term side effects for me has been dry lips. It's annoying, yes, but I consider it a small price to pay for clear skin (if you've ever had really bad skin, you'll know that it's hard to underestimate the joy of that).

beauty review lip balms

Given that, I'm confident that I've tried pretty much all lip balms on the planet. I started off with Vaseline but found it overrated, and have quickly realised that creamier formulae are far better for truly parched lips than anything clear and glossy. Anyway, here are my thoughts on the eight lip balms I found lying around my flat... You'll see that I am pretty harsh because I'm judging these as someone with very dry lips, so take my reviews with a pinch of salt if you're less in need of moisture than I am. I've tried countless others too, so if there's a particular one you want to ask about, do let me know in the comments or get in touch on Instagram. As always it bears repeating that none of this is sponsored and my reviews are in no way biased or influenced, but my own totally honest views.

Apivita lip care with chamomile / £8 for 4.4g
Rating: 4/10
This is a beeswax-based stick and I'm always wary of waxy products, since they just tend to coat the surface of the lips rather than really penetrating the skin (see also Carmex and Burt's Bees). This gets bonus points for the SPF 15, but ultimately it just doesn't feel nourishing at all.

Rating: 5/10
This is a pretty average offering: a good thick balm but ultimately too sticky to really moisturise. I'm not keen on the packaging either and the price is too high for what it is.

Rating: 7/10
You know I love Grown Alchemist for its divinely beautiful scents and packaging, and this lip balm is no exception to that rule. If you're looking for a lip balm that tastes so good you want to eat it all, or one that looks super chic on your desk, look no further. However, this is ultimately more of a gloss than a balm, so if you have very dry lips, it's not going to do much. I tend to use it on top of a balm for a deliciously scented sheen.

EOS lip balm sphere / £7 for 7g
Rating: 1/10
For some reason this seems to have become a "cult" product (really hate that expression), and I have no idea why. Is it because they had the innovative idea of making it a sphere instead of a stick? Why is that a good thing?! It's pretty ugly, if you ask me, and definitely doesn't do much moisturising.

Rating: 6/10
This is one of those balms that advertises based on its success in wintry Nordic conditions, and to be fair it's better than most. It's pleasantly thick, lasts reasonably long on the lips and is good value. Ultimately though it's not creamy enough for me.

Kiehl's lip balm #1 / £9.50 for 15ml
Rating: 4/10
I was really excited to try this as I'd heard great things, but as with so many other lip balms, I can only imagine the people lauding them don't have very dry lips to start with. This is disappointingly gloss-like and just sits on the surface of the lips, really not feeling nourishing at all. It also doesn't smell very nice. The plus points are the packaging and the SPF (though it's only factor 4...)

Eve Lom Kiss Mix / £16 for 7ml
Rating: 3/10
This is a cute little pot and the texture is OK, but that's pretty much where it ends. It's a very thin, clear balm which tastes of peppermint (maybe you'll like that but I hate it personally) and lacks any real moisturising power. It loses an extra mark because of the price, which is definitely too high for what it is.

Rating: 10/10
At last, a lip balm that actually is ultra-nourishing! I've saved the best till last: this unassuming pot is absolutely worth every penny. It properly moisturises rather than just sitting on the lips, it smells and feels lovely, and it is excellent value for money: one pot lasts me about six months, and trust me, I use it a lot. I can't recommend this enough.


---- shop the post ----



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig