Wednesday 13 November 2013

today i want… isabel marant pour h&m tuxedo jacket

isabel marant pour h&m tuxedo jacket


I haven't posted about the Isabel Marant pour H&M collection yet, but since it finally lands in stores tomorrow morning I thought it was time to add my two cents on the subject. Like most fashion fans I was so excited when I heard back in the summer that the French designer would be the next to grace the high street stalwart with her designs. To be honest H&M's collaborations have been a mixed bag, in my opinion, and largely forgettable. Margiela this time last year was hugely hyped but nothing tempted me enough to part with my cash. Marni was definitely one of the better collaborations, and Lanvin produced some really pretty dresses. But most of the others have been underwhelming - Karl Lagerfeld, Versace, Anna dello Russo… I can't even remember any others. Compared with JW Anderson, Mary Katrantzou or Kate Moss for Topshop, which have all been both true to the designer (or model) and of very high quality, they don't measure up in my opinion. Still, I held out hope that Marant's quintessential brand of French chic would manage to translate to the high street. So when the first pictures came out, I'll admit, I was disappointed. It seemed to be largely just churning out cheaper and undoubtedly worse quality copies of her previous designs. I don't know about you, but to me this seems like a copout on a few levels: firstly, I would have killed for those Navajo jeans two years ago, but now? Not so much. Secondly, if I were a Marant diehard who'd shelled out for the real deal, I'd be somewhat annoyed at the prospect of a load of teenagers walking around in the same design for a fraction of the price. And I just feel like it's missing a trick. JW Anderson's collection for Topshop was a collection in its own right: it had its own motifs, its own character. It doesn't feel like Marant's has the same. But, that said, I am keeping an open mind because I could be wrong; the pieces could be beautiful and after all, for a lot of us it might be our only chance to get our hands on some Marant, and that's not to be sniffed at. And while most of the pieces aren't wowing me, the above jacket has definitely caught my eye and made me determined not to miss out on a slice of the action. (I'm tempted by the lace-up leather trousers, too, but they are hard to get right on the high street). So what are your thoughts? Will you be queueing for a piece of Marant pour H&M, or giving this one a miss?


Follow me on
bloglovin'
facebook
twitter
pinterest

Share:

1 comment

  1. This is a must have piece!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig