Sunday 20 January 2019

january pick-me-ups





Thought I would share with you some of the things I am currently loving. As my friends will know, I'm perennially drawn to home comforts over extravagant outings, so it won't be surprising to hear that this January (and in my birthday week no less) I am all about cosy knitwear, luxurious scents, excellent podcasts and a decadent tipple or two (no dry January here).

If you follow me on Instagram you will no doubt have noticed my obsession with this Antipodean stationery brand, and its impeccably stylish founder Beck Wadworth (100% worth a follow). This 2019 diary is everything I adore in one item: stylish, minimal, organised and monogrammed. It is absolutely worth paying the ~£12 postage from Australia, and I am ordinarily someone who abhors paying for postage. I am relishing committing my goals for the year to pen and paper and especially love the section which allows you to note your favourite moments of the year as you go through.

This oversized luscious woollen jumper was my favourite impromptu sales purchase courtesy of the best knitwear purveyor on the high street - seriously, if you are in the market for beautiful quality knits at incredibly reasonable prices, do not look elsewhere. This exact beauty is no longer available online, but I recommend this one instead.

The older I get the less I can tolerate knock-off cheap spirits and the more I gravitate towards beautiful bottles encasing high quality liqueurs. Edinburgh Gin absolutely hits both criteria for me, and I am very lucky to have been gifted both the fragrant Pomegranate & Rose and the luscious Plum & Vanilla (I also recommend Rhubarb & Ginger). Just add a dash to a glass of prosecco (or champagne if you are less basic than me...)

I gifted myself this set of mini perfumes for Christmas after being obsessed with Le Labo candles (and packaging) ever since I bought myself one as a souvenir from my trip to New York 3 years ago. I still maintain it was the perfect memento, emblazoned as it is with my name, the date and site of its purchase. I've been wanting to try one of their perfumes for ages but don't live near a stockist, and given the not insignificant price tags I didn't want to jump into a blind purchase. This set of five 1.5ml minis is the perfect way (as its name indicates) to discover the scents. It costs a mere £20 and the Le Labo site offers free delivery. I love the scents even more than I thought I would; my absolute favourite is Rose 31 (no surprise there since I'm obsessed with rose, but its deep smokiness is no ordinary floral), but Thé Noir 29 comes a very close second (rich, leathery and sensuous).

I almost never buy full-sized beauty products outright; I maintain that it's always a risk, no matter how many glowing reviews and personal recommendations a product may have received. Beauty, in particular skincare, is so personal to your skin, and the good quality products often eye-wateringly expensive, that in the rare times I have handed over £50 for a beauty product without first trialling it, I have almost always been disappointed and felt cheated. That's why I am such a huge fan of beauty advent calendars (incidentally the John Lewis one this year was AMAZING), free samples included in orders from the likes of Space NK and FeelUnique, and in particular the "spend x amount and receive a beauty box" deals. I do, admittedly, amass so many hundreds of mini samples that I often fail to even try them all out (but my friends and family sometimes benefit from the surplus!) However, I have discovered many a beauty love this way, of which Sarah Chapman's overnight facial serum is one. That's why when I found this reduced in the Space NK sale on Boxing Day I knew it was no false economy to snap it up.

Some might say that a £30 hair towel is essentially a gimmick, and admittedly you can get cheaper versions. But I adore this one: it ties up neatly and without fuss, keeping wet hair out of sight and mind, and reducing drying time and therefore hairdryer damage. I was bereft to discover I had left mine in our first hotel in Bali in November (along with about three other things, well done Anna), so I've just treated myself to a replacement.

I can't get enough of shiny, sculptural earrings at the moment, and these beauties from Mango are my current absolute favourites. These exact ones appear to no longer be available, but they have a staggeringly good selection of alternatives (these are particularly high on my wish list).

Not photographable, but very much an obsession at the moment. I am very late to this wonderful podcast, the brainchild of journalists Dolly Alderton and Pandora Sykes, who discuss culture, feminism, fashion, news, TV, literature and everything in between in an intelligent, eloquent and incredibly thought-provoking way. I've binged about 50 episodes in the space of two weeks (I don't do things by halves!)



---- shop the post ----

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig