Saturday 3 March 2018

my skincare routine


skincare-routine3

I don't know about you but I'm always fascinated by other people's skincare routines. One of my favourite blogs at the moment is Space NK's Inside Space, particularly its "Sunday Sessions" feature, which asks a different woman each week about her routine to wind down on a Sunday night (spoiler alert: it almost always includes a Diptyque candle, so these are my kind of women). In that spirit, I thought I would share my own skincare routine, for morning and night. It is sometimes supplemented by a face mask, and I vary my serums, but other than that it pretty much stays the same. Anyway I hope you find it interesting.

morning

I don't like to take ages over my routine in the morning, because I take long enough to get ready for work as it is, and prefer to spend my time on my make-up. I wash my face in the shower using a gel cleanser; this varies depending on what samples I have, but at the moment it's DCL C Scape Enzymatic gel cleanser. I sometimes apply a serum like The Ordinary Ascorbyl Glucoside (vitamin C) to brighten, but usually it's just straight on with Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentré (deserves its reputation as the best everyday moisturiser), followed by Alpha H Daily Essential Moisturiser SPF 50+ (yes, even when it's snowing).

skincare-routine

evening

I take a little more time in the evening and am diligent about ensuring I remove my make-up. First I take off my eye make-up with an oil-based cream; I actually just use Boots' Essential eye make-up remover - it may not be pretty but it's cheap and it really does the job. I know micellar waters are all the rage these days, but I have never been impressed with their ability to remove eyeliner and mascara. Then I use a balm cleanser, either Eve Lom Cleanser or Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm, which I massage into dry skin then remove with a hot muslin cloth.

Next up is a toner. I'm obsessed with Alpha H Liquid Gold (a glycolic acid which is amazing for resurfacing the skin), and their Liquid Rose Gold version is even better as it smells like my favourite flower (rose, duh). I use this on alternate days, and on the others I use a gentle toner like Grown Alchemist Balancing Toner or Rodial Dragon's Blood Hyaluronic Tonic.

skincare-routine2

The serum is the only step in my routine which changes; I'm always trying out serum samples so I switch them up a lot. However, I keep going back to The Ordinary, because they're so cheap but effective. I love their Hyaluronic Acid (to plump up) and the "Buffet" serum (a fantastic anti-ageing all-rounder), and I also use the Lactic Acid (to resurface), although only on days when I'm not using Liquid Gold because they're both AHAs (alpha hydroxy acids).

Finally a rich moisturiser. I have pretty dry skin so I need something nice and thick at night. I hardly ever stray from my favourite Origins Make a Difference Plus ultra-rich rejuvenating cream, although I'll sometimes swap it for a leave-on mask or Eve Lom's TLC cream (only if I've got time to let that sink in though, because it is super-duper thick). So that's it. I feel like now I'm in my thirties it's probably time to start using an eye cream, though I haven't found one I'm sold on yet. If you've got any recommendations I'd love to hear them.

skincare-routine4

---- shop the post ----



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© anna lou elliott | All rights reserved.
Blog Design Handcrafted by pipdig